Boris Johnson announces new No 10 team
Following multiple resignations in the wake of the Downing Street parties, Boris Johnson has named the new government minister and former adviser.
Cabinet Office minister Steve Barclay will replace Dan Rosenfield as the Prime Minister’s chief of staff.
Guto Harri, who acted as Johnson’s advisor when he was Mayor of London, will become director of communications, taking over from Jack Doyle.
Johnson believes the shake up will “accelerate our defining mission to level up the country.”
It is an honour to have been asked by the PM to serve as Chief of Staff for No10 Downing Street alongside my responsibilities in the Cabinet Office.
I am looking forward to working with the PM, Ministers and Parliamentary colleagues on the issues that matter most to our country
— Steve Barclay (@SteveBarclay) February 5, 2022
The PM said: “This week I promised change, so that we can get on with the job the British public elected us to do.
“We need to continue our recovery from the pandemic, help hundreds of thousands more people into work, and deliver our ambitious agenda to level up the entire country, improving people’s opportunities regardless of where they’re from.
“The changes I’m announcing to my senior team today will improve how No 10 operates, strengthen the role of my Cabinet and backbench colleagues, and accelerate our defining mission to level up the country.”
Johnson suffered five resignations from top aides after Sue Gray released her report to the public on Monday.
Go here to see MPs reactions to the initial findings here.
Munira Mirza, Martin Reynolds and Elena Narozanski also stepped down from their positions.
Martin Reynolds sent out an invitation to a gathering now commonly referred to as the “bring your own booze” party.
Policy Chief Munira Mirza wrote a resignation letter of fierce criticism towards Johnson for accusing Kier Starmer of failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile.
The PM is expected to announce who else will be joining the new team at No 10 over the next few days.
Raoul Moat Drama Coming Soon To ITV
It looks set to be one of ITV’s biggest dramas this year and The Hunt for Raoul Moat is being brought to screen by the same people responsible for smash hit shows Line of Duty, Bodyguard and Vigil.
It was confirmed last April that production on the series had commenced, nearly 12 years after Moat gunman shot ex girlfriend Samantha Stobbart and her new boyfriend Christopher Brown, with Brown dying from his injuries. After fleeing Samantha’s home in Birtley, Moat, who had been released from prison just days earlier, went on the run, shooting on duty policeman PC David Rathband in the face as he sat in a patrol car on the outskirts of Newcastle and leaving him blind.
From there, Moat headed for Northumberland, forcing the quiet village of Rothbury into a lockdown as police launched a frantic search for him. The hunt for Moat reached its conclusion with a tense stand-off between the killer and the police on a riverbank, with Moat eventually shooting himself and dying from his injuries as he was rushed to Newcastle General Hospital.
ITV announced three parter The Hunt for Raoul Moat almost a year ago, as filming got underway in Yorkshire, with a cast including ex Bodyguard star Matt Stokoe as Moat and Inspector George Gently actor Lee Ingeleby as police chief Neil Adamson.
ITV have yet to officially announce an release date for The Hunt for Raoul Moat, but is expected to be form part of the channel’s spring programming.
Peter Kay halts Newcastle show and ‘rushes off stage to help as fans fall ill’
Peter Kay’s Newcastle show was thrown into chaos when three audience members fell ill.
According to the Sun the Phoenix Nights star halted his latest show and rushed to assist when he spotted a fan on the front row had become unwell and needed assistance.
Minutes later, a member of the audience was escorted out of the venue in a wheelchair.
An onlooker told the Sun: People near the front started shouting for an ambulance.
‘Peter asked if they were being serious, then he asked for the big lights to go on and stewards ran over to see what was going on.
‘He then went off stage for around 10/15 mins and one person was seen getting wheel-chaired out.’
After the situation was under control he got on with his show, but two more audience members then reportedly become unwell.
Were you there – did you witness it? Let us know on our Facebook page –
International Women’s Day – The North East’s Most Influential Women – North East Updates
On this International Women’s Day, March 8, we highlight the extraordinary contributions made by women in the North East throughout history and the present. For hundreds of years, the women of the North East have shaped our world, and without them, things wouldn’t be the same.
Follow us on YouTube for all local videos and to support us – North East Updates – YouTube
Sports1 year ago
Newcastle transfer rumours as January window approaches
Best of North East1 year ago
Top 10: Date Ideas In Newcastle
News1 year ago
Local mum left with serious injuries after being spiked
Sports1 year ago
Rumours: How could Newcastle line-up after the January transfer window?
Featured1 year ago
North-East Collection Points For Ukraine Donations
Featured1 year ago
Humanitarian aid for Ukraine collection point in Newcastle
Sports1 year ago
Favourites to sign for Newcastle in January, according to SkyBet
Sports10 months ago
Six potential strikers that would improve Newcastle’s attack