Connect with us

featured

Covid: UK Cases Return To 50,000

Published

on

More than 50,000 daily Covid cases have been recorded in the UK for the first time since 17 July.

Despite calls for more restrictions, Boris Johnson has urged people to come forward for booster jabs when their time comes. The prime minister said those who become eligible for a third dose of vaccine should organise an appointment straight away.

The UK recorded 52,009 new Covid cases on Thursday (21/10), alongside 115 deaths within 28 days of a positive test – the highest stats since mid-July.

Mr Johnson said, despite high cases, the government was “continuing with its plan” and that things were much better now than a year ago.. despite the country being in the same boat with numbers. He has said a large part is thanks to the rollout of the vaccine, which has weakened the link between cases,  hospitalisations and deaths.. despite huge covid infection rates.

Reported cases on 17 July were 54,674. The figures that came only several weeks after more households could mix together and indoor hospitality resumed. Doctors are demanding ministers trigger England’s “Plan B”, which would reimpose rules such as mandatory face masks and working from home advice.

credit: gov.uk

Speaking in Northern Ireland, Mr Johnson said that the numbers of infections and deaths being seen were “within the parameters of what the predictions were… given the steps we’ve taken.” He also insisted that the “most important thing people can do is get that booster jab” and that “when you get the call, get the jab”.

The PM also appealed for 12 to 15-years-old to get their first vaccination because there was “no shortage of supply” and “huge quantities” of vaccine available. An estimated 4.7 million booster doses have now been delivered in the UK and ready to use.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said ministers were letting the “security wall against the virus… crumble” and the booster programme was “stalling”.

Under the government’s plan for tackling Covid in England over the winter, the strategy currently in operation is Plan A. It involves offering booster jabs to about 30 million people and offering a single vaccine dose to healthy 12 to 15-year-olds, as well as encouraging ventilation for indoor gatherings, hand-washing and face masks in crowded places.

Do you think it’s time for a fourth lockdown or stricter measures? Let us know on socials and follow us for more updates!

featured

Michael Gove proposes House of Lords sit in Sunderland during Parliament refurbishment

Published

on

Sunderland has been suggested as one of several locations for the House of Lords to relocate to while Parliament undergoes refurbishment.

York had been previously been proposed but the Government vetoed the plans.

Michael Gove, who is Levelling Up Secretary, is said to have written to Lord McFall of Alcluith suggesting locations including Stoke-on-Trent, Burnley and Sunderland.

In the letter, Mr Gove said he knows “cities and towns across the United Kingdom would be pleased to extend their hospitality to peers”.

He is quoted as saying that having “carefully reviewed the proposed arrangements”, he “will not support the use of the QEII Centre as an alternative location”.

The Queen Elizabeth II Centre conference and exhibition space is just a few minutes’ walk from the Palace of Westminster in London.

In the letter, which the Sunday Times said was also sent to Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, Mr Gove suggested a move elsewhere in England, Scotland or Wales.

He is reported to have written: “As the minister responsible for levelling up, it is clear to me that the House of Lords moving elsewhere, even for a temporary period, would be widely welcomed.

“I have carefully reviewed the proposed arrangements and…I will not support the use of the QEII Centre as an alternative location.

“I propose to establish dedicated liaison points for you in my department to support you in identifying a suitable location for the House of Lords in the North, Midlands, South West, Scotland or Wales. I would, of course, be happy to meet you to discuss this.”

Continue Reading

city-guides

Tyne Bridge to Close for Several Weeks for £41m Restoration

Published

on

Several weeks of overnight closures are planned in order to allow engineers to assess how bad a state the Tyne Bridge is in, before it can be restored to its former glory.

The long-overdue restoration is estimated to cost £41m in order to restore the bridge and refurbish the Central Motorway.

According to a local authority report, the inspection is expected to require the famous crossing to be closed from 10pm to 6am from June 13 to July 1. A number of roads underneath the bridge on the Newcastle Quayside are also due to be affected by the works – with closures due between May 16 and June 10 on Quayside, Lombard Street, Queen Street, and Akenside Hill from 8pm to 6am.

A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “We submitted a bid for £41.4 million to Government which, if approved, will enable a four-year maintenance programme for the Tyne Bridge and the Central Motorway to go ahead. As part of the funding process, we are required to carry out some initial works on the Tyne Bridge.

“This includes a full inspection of the bridge, so we can assess its condition and the scale of works required to finalise the costings and project plans to fully restore and refurbish this major structure. This needs to be completed ahead of funding being approved.

“As we need to inspect the entire span of the bridge, overnight closures may be required on the bridge and roads underneath it, so engineers can complete this work safely. Details on the programming are being finalised.”

The Tyne Bridge has not had any major maintenance for two decades and its much-needed refurbishment has been at the top of council officials’ to do list for years, in the hope of ensuring it is looking its best once again by its 100th birthday in 2028. However, it has been warned that the grade II* listed structure may have deteriorated into a worse condition than currently known and council bosses have warned that, like on other major projects like the Grainger Market’s roof repairs, the refurbishment may take longer than expected.”

Continue Reading

city-guides

Seaburn and Roker Beaches Named Best Beaches in the Country in 2022

Published

on

Sunderland’s beaches have been named among the best in the country for the 11th year running.

Seaburn and Roker were both named as winners of the Seaside Award by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy. The pair were once again handed Blue Flags, marking them out for their for their excellent water quality, cleanliness and attempts to constantly improve visitor amenities.

The Blue Flag awards, now in their 35th year, are issued by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy and act as ‘a quality mark so visitors can be sure the beaches boast top-notch facilities and meet the highest environmental standards’.

Linda Williams, Sunderland City Council’s cabinet member for Vibrant City, said: “It is fantastic to see Sunderland’s beautiful beaches once again awarded the prestigious Blue Flag and Seaside Award.

“Flying these flags at Roker and Seaburn shows everyone who visits that our seafront has excellent quality bathing water and first-class facilities.

“We’re very lucky to have fantastic beaches with beautiful, clean water to swim and bathe in, and this national recognition is testament to the hard work of everyone involved in keeping our beaches clean, tidy and well-maintained.”

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending