Deliberate fires are putting people’s lives at risk across Tyne and Wear
Tyne and Wear’s Chief Fire Officer, Chris Lowther has urged teenage arsonists to not put lives at risk this half term after revealing crews are spending 64 days a year tackling deliberate fires.
Since Bonfire Night 2020, firefighters and crews from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) have tackled 4,421 deliberate secondary fires.
These type of fires are commonly small outdoor fires involving discarded items, refuse, wheelie bins, and grasslands [parks] that don’t involve people or property.
Firefighters say the fires are often linked to anti-social behaviour where teenagers have started a blaze along with their friends.
They are also saying TWFRS crews spent, on average, 21 minutes extinguishing each of the deliberate fires.
This equates to approximately 64.5 days of the past year being spent putting out deliberate secondary fires.
Secondary Fires across Tyne & Wear [between 5/11/20 and 20/10/21]
North Tyneside: 498
South Tyneside: 500
Today (Monday) half term begins for schools across Tyne and Wear, and CFO Lowther has called on teenagers to stop putting lives at risk.
CFO Lowther, said:
“Over the past twelve-months our firefighters have attended nearly five-thousand deliberate secondary fires across Tyne and Wear. These actions by a selfish section of the local community are putting people’s lives at risk.
“We can’t be in two places at once, which means if we’re dealing with a malicious fire in one part of the region then we aren’t able to respond to a real emergency – where someone’s life could be in danger. Let’s hope it’s not a loved one or family member of one of culprit’s – who requires our help at their time of need!”
CFO Lowther continues: “At this time of year, in and round Bonfire Night, we always see an increase in anti-social behaviour and the misuse of fireworks. We ultimately want communities to stay safe from harm, and would recommend that any rubbish or unwanted items that may be outside of residential properties to be disposed of in the appropriate manner.
“As ever, we are working closely with our partners to help protect local communities. We always appreciate the cooperation of residents and businesses so if you have any information about malicious activity in your area then please report it anonymously to Firestoppers – help us, help you!”
Chief Superintendent Janice Hutton, of Northumbria Police, said: “We are aware of the impact that the anti-social behaviour of a minority can have on our communities.
“We want everyone to enjoy the Halloween and Bonfire Night period and contribute positively to their communities. It is important, however, that people do so safely while taking responsibility for themselves and being considerate of others.
“As ever, we will be working closely with our partners to positively address any issues or pockets of disorder.
“We are proud of the community spirit and togetherness fostered across Northumbria, something this area is famed for, and would ask that the public continue to work with us to ensure this region remains a safe place to live and work.
“Anybody who is concerned about anti-social behaviour in their area, or is aware of any criminality, is asked to report it to us by speaking to an officer on patrol, via the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of our website or calling 101.”
If you have any important information about deliberate fires being ignited in your local community – you can report the details anonymously by calling Firestoppers on 0800 169 5558 or by reporting it through their website www.firestoppersreport.co.uk
Join the conversation on our social media below and let us know your thoughts….
Michael Gove proposes House of Lords sit in Sunderland during Parliament refurbishment
Sunderland has been suggested as one of several locations for the House of Lords to relocate to while Parliament undergoes refurbishment.
York had been previously been proposed but the Government vetoed the plans.
Michael Gove, who is Levelling Up Secretary, is said to have written to Lord McFall of Alcluith suggesting locations including Stoke-on-Trent, Burnley and Sunderland.
In the letter, Mr Gove said he knows “cities and towns across the United Kingdom would be pleased to extend their hospitality to peers”.
He is quoted as saying that having “carefully reviewed the proposed arrangements”, he “will not support the use of the QEII Centre as an alternative location”.
The Queen Elizabeth II Centre conference and exhibition space is just a few minutes’ walk from the Palace of Westminster in London.
In the letter, which the Sunday Times said was also sent to Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, Mr Gove suggested a move elsewhere in England, Scotland or Wales.
He is reported to have written: “As the minister responsible for levelling up, it is clear to me that the House of Lords moving elsewhere, even for a temporary period, would be widely welcomed.
“I have carefully reviewed the proposed arrangements and…I will not support the use of the QEII Centre as an alternative location.
“I propose to establish dedicated liaison points for you in my department to support you in identifying a suitable location for the House of Lords in the North, Midlands, South West, Scotland or Wales. I would, of course, be happy to meet you to discuss this.”
Tyne Bridge to Close for Several Weeks for £41m Restoration
Several weeks of overnight closures are planned in order to allow engineers to assess how bad a state the Tyne Bridge is in, before it can be restored to its former glory.
The long-overdue restoration is estimated to cost £41m in order to restore the bridge and refurbish the Central Motorway.
According to a local authority report, the inspection is expected to require the famous crossing to be closed from 10pm to 6am from June 13 to July 1. A number of roads underneath the bridge on the Newcastle Quayside are also due to be affected by the works – with closures due between May 16 and June 10 on Quayside, Lombard Street, Queen Street, and Akenside Hill from 8pm to 6am.
A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “We submitted a bid for £41.4 million to Government which, if approved, will enable a four-year maintenance programme for the Tyne Bridge and the Central Motorway to go ahead. As part of the funding process, we are required to carry out some initial works on the Tyne Bridge.
“This includes a full inspection of the bridge, so we can assess its condition and the scale of works required to finalise the costings and project plans to fully restore and refurbish this major structure. This needs to be completed ahead of funding being approved.
“As we need to inspect the entire span of the bridge, overnight closures may be required on the bridge and roads underneath it, so engineers can complete this work safely. Details on the programming are being finalised.”
The Tyne Bridge has not had any major maintenance for two decades and its much-needed refurbishment has been at the top of council officials’ to do list for years, in the hope of ensuring it is looking its best once again by its 100th birthday in 2028. However, it has been warned that the grade II* listed structure may have deteriorated into a worse condition than currently known and council bosses have warned that, like on other major projects like the Grainger Market’s roof repairs, the refurbishment may take longer than expected.”
Seaburn and Roker Beaches Named Best Beaches in the Country in 2022
Sunderland’s beaches have been named among the best in the country for the 11th year running.
Seaburn and Roker were both named as winners of the Seaside Award by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy. The pair were once again handed Blue Flags, marking them out for their for their excellent water quality, cleanliness and attempts to constantly improve visitor amenities.
The Blue Flag awards, now in their 35th year, are issued by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy and act as ‘a quality mark so visitors can be sure the beaches boast top-notch facilities and meet the highest environmental standards’.
Linda Williams, Sunderland City Council’s cabinet member for Vibrant City, said: “It is fantastic to see Sunderland’s beautiful beaches once again awarded the prestigious Blue Flag and Seaside Award.
“Flying these flags at Roker and Seaburn shows everyone who visits that our seafront has excellent quality bathing water and first-class facilities.
“We’re very lucky to have fantastic beaches with beautiful, clean water to swim and bathe in, and this national recognition is testament to the hard work of everyone involved in keeping our beaches clean, tidy and well-maintained.”
Sports5 months ago
Newcastle transfer rumours as January window approaches
News7 months ago
Local mum left with serious injuries after being spiked
Sports4 months ago
Rumours: How could Newcastle line-up after the January transfer window?
featured3 months ago
Humanitarian aid for Ukraine collection point in Newcastle
featured3 months ago
North-East Collection Points For Ukraine Donations
Sports4 months ago
Favourites to sign for Newcastle in January, according to SkyBet
Entertainment3 months ago
Sam Fender Celebrates Victory With Gregg’s-Filled Party Bus
featured6 months ago
Firework incident in crowd at Newcastle pub