Connect with us

News

Jeff Hendricks admits he wanted move away from Newcastle

Published

on

On Monday night the transfer window closed, ushering in a morning of surprises for football fans given after transfer deadline day.

Most players would prefer to play in the Premier League rather than the Championship, but that is not the case for Irish midfielder Jeff Hendrick, who is excited to join QPR on loan from Newcastle United.

Hendrick in training
Credit: (Instagram:Jeff13hendrick).

The 30-year-old is under contract with the Magpies for four years, Hendricks signed in 2020 on a free transfer from Burnley, and had no intention of leaving until his game time was drastically reduced following a red card last season.

An example of Hendricks limited game time, is throughout all of January, the Republic of Ireland international hadn’t made a single start, managing a pitiful four substitute appearances, and he wasn’t satisfied. “Anyone who knows me well will know I will be disappointed with the game time I have got this season,”

“I wanted to get out, get games and enjoy my football,” he said.

When a loan deal, albeit to a championship club, became available, Hendrick seized the opportunity to demonstrate his worth, resulting in a successful loan move to the Hoops before the winter transfer window closed yesterday.

QPR, who are currently fighting for promotion to the EPL, believe Jeff Hendrick is the right person to push their side towards that goal, and are just as happy to have him.

R’s manager, Mark Warburton said: “I am delighted to bring Jeff in. Jeff has shown his quality…on the international stage and in the Premier League…that championship experience…can be so important”.

Warburton spoke of his teams spirit and how Hendricks character was a good match:

“The players have worked so hard to build a brilliant dressing room culture, one that has such togetherness and harmony, so anyone we add must be the right character – and Jeff certainly fits the bill in that respect.

“I am very much looking forward to working with him over the coming weeks and months.”

It’s now up to the Irish to prove his worth, and perhaps help his side get back in the Premier League.

Hendricks could make his first Championship appearance for QPR against Middlesbrough, 9th February, at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

What do you think of Hendricks move? Let us know on our Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/North-East-Updates-Sports-256564656247322

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending