Connect with us

News

Metrocentre Shoppers Were Shocked As Knife Fight Broke Out

Published

on

Shoppers were left shocked when a fight broke out in the Metrocentre over a knifeman’s girlfriend being insulted.

Harry Hamblett had gone to the shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon armed with a hunting knife when trouble flared. A court heard three men ended up fighting in front of shocked families just before 3pm on May 29 last year.

When police turned up, Hamblett tried to flee but was apprehended and found to be carrying the knife, which had an eight inch blade. Although he didn’t use it in the fight, Judge Tim Gittins, at Newcastle Crown Court, told him: “It doesn’t matter who started it, you seem to have thought it was an appropriate chivalrous response to an insult aimed at your girlfriend that you should challenge those responsible.

“Violence is not the answer. As we have seen on the public stage more recently, it doesn’t help matters and it certainly didn’t help your girlfriend. It was made much worse by the fact you were carrying a knife at the time. It was an unpleasant hunting knife, eight inches long.”

The judge said he accepted Hamblin, 21, had mental health issues and had been attacked previously in a separate incident. But he told him: “The irony is, carrying a knife doesn’t make you any safer, in fact it makes you less safe. It is, regrettably, an all too common feature of young men’s lives and it seems to have become a routine behaviour as a show of bravado that they feel the need to carry knives.

“The result, all too often, is someone is killed or seriously injured. You and others need to appreciate how seriously the courts view the carrying of knives these days.”

Judge Gittins added: “You were carrying it in a public space where there were vulnerable people present, families and children. Because you got yourself into that altercation, whether you intended to use that knife or not, anything could have happened. Fortunately it did not but it could have fallen out of your pocket and been used by someone else or you, becoming overwhelmed, could have decided to use it.”

The court heard the fight came to light on CCTV at the Metrocentre and a female security guard witnessed part of it. Police were called and prevented Hamblett’s attempts to avoid them and he was restrained and taken to the floor. It was at that point they noticed he had the knife. When interviewed, he said he got involved in the fight after one of the other men called his girlfriend a “s**g”.

Hamblett, who has no previous convictions, pleaded guilty to having a bladed article in a public place. He was sentenced to eight months suspended for 12 months with £300 costs.

Glenn Gatland, defending, said Hamblett was in the army for a time. He added: “He has expressed remorse, he is very sorry about it and accepts full responsibility.” Mr Gatland said two weeks before this, he was attacked and it left him “extremely fearful”.

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending