Connect with us

Sports

Newcastle and Liverpool staff charged after Anfield clash

Published

on

Image: @LFC via Twitter

The FA have charged both Newcastle and Liverpool coaching staff after the two camps clashed at Anfield last Sunday in the aftermath of Liverpool’s heated 2-1 win.

Dan Hodges, Newcastle’s Head of Performance, was charged for his conduct alongside Liverpool goalkeeping coach John Achterberg. 

“It is alleged,” the FA announced, “that the behaviour of John Achterberg and Daniel Hodges in the 98th minute … was improper.” Specifically, the coaches are accused of breaking rule E3, which covers comments bringing the game into disrepute as well as other inappropriate behaviour.

The fixture was brimming with controversy which left Newcastle fans and staff feeling aggrieved. Alexander Isak, Newcastle’s record signing, had a goal ruled out for an extremely tight offside.

Tempers came to a head in the 98th minute. After 5 minutes of added time was announced, the referee allowed play to continue, and Liverpool youngster Carvalho capitalised with a late, late winner. The aftermath of the goal saw the touchline erupt, leading to the FA’s verdict on Hodges and Achterberg’s behaviour. Howe described the goal as “a sickener”. 

After being booed off the pitch by Liverpool fans, the Magpies boss told the press, “no part of me really cares about that, I think it’s all about the result and our performance.”

Jurgen Klopp called Newcastle’s tactics “hard to take”, and called for referees to introduce more earlier yellow cards for time-wasting techniques such as kicking the ball away at set pieces. He called the 98th minute winner “the perfect response.”

From the touchline to Twitter, the validity of the goal has been hotly debated, with Liverpool fans pointing to extensive stoppages, in particular caused by an injury to Newcastle keeper Nick Pope.

Footage shows a bottle being thrown from the Newcastle bench in the direction of the Liverpool staff. 

Hodges, who was appointed by Howe after having previously worked with him at Bournemouth, has until 8th September to respond.

Sports

Newcastle target rejects Everton move following £45m bid.

Published

on

Newcastle united - St James Park

Everton have made a £40million bid with £5m in add-ons to sign Connor Gallagher from Chelsea.

This comes after Newcastle completed the signing of Anthony Gordon, the club’s second most expensive transfer behind Alexander Isak.

Everton received an initial fee of £40m plus add-ons that could increase the deal to £45m.

The Toffees currently sit 19th in the Premier League and are looking to reinvest the money from the Gordon deal to sign much-needed players under newly appointed manager Sean Dyche. 

But, multiple sources have reported today that Gallagher is not actively pushing for a move and has no intention of going to Goodison Park. However, with Chelsea having met the record-breaking €120m release clause for World Cup winner Enzo Fernandez, Gallagher may be forced to leave the club if the transfer is complete.

This leaves Newcastle an option as the player would prefer a move to a top-six club.

This morning, Eddie Howe said, “We’ll see what we can do to try & bring a player in. There’s no guarantees. In terms of permanent signings, it will be very difficult. We’ll look at a potential loan. But it’s got to be the right player & not one for the sake of it”.

Due to financial fair play, the only way Newcastle could sign the player is through a loan, with an obligation to buy the player for at least £45m, the same price they paid for Anthony Gordon.

Gallagher has been playing regular Premier League football over the last two seasons. Since returning to his parent club Chelsea, the 22-year-old has been linked with a move away to numerous Premier League clubs.

Last season he was named Crystal Palace’s Player of the Season by their fans. He also won the Player of the Month award twice, Goal of the Month once, and was awarded the Young Player of Year at the 2022 London Football Awards.

In the same season, he made 36 appearances scoring eight goals and registering three assists that earned Palace a 12th-place finish, one point behind Newcastle.

Have Your Say!

Would you want Newcastle to sign Conor Gallagher?

Does he start?

Let us know on our Facebook page!

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer News: Newcastle Sign Everton Winger Anthony Gordon In 45m Deal

Published

on

Newcastle agree deal for Gordon

Newcastle United have agreed to sign Everton winger Anthony Gordon for an initial fee of £40,000,000, which could rise to £45,000,000 with add-ons

Sky Sports understands that personal terms between Newcastle United and Gordan’s representatives are still ongoing, but both parties are confident of reaching an agreement.

The Magpies’ were interested in bringing Gordon to St James’ Park in the summer. However, both clubs were far apart on valuations for the player.

The 21-year-old has failed to attend training at Finch Farm for the last three days after making it clear he wants to move away from Goodison Park.

Chelsea were interested in bringing Gordon to Stamford Bridge in the summer and were willing to pay up to £60,000,000 for the wide-man’s services. However, Everton were reluctant to let their talisman leave before the start of the 2022/2023 Premier League season.

Gordon has scored just 3 goals in 16 Premier League appearances (12 starts) this season for the struggling Toffees, who currently sit second bottom of the table.

That said, the former Preston North End loanee had his best campaign last season, playing a major part in Everton’s Premier League survival.

The Everton academy graduate had 6 goal involvements in 35 Premier League games (25 starts) last season, which was the first season he had a consistent run of games.

It’s clear that Gordon has a significant amount of potential, and with Eddie Howe at the helm, Newcastle could be getting a very exciting player.

We have seen an unbelievable transformation in many players’ performances since Eddie Howe took charge in November 2021, with the most obvious transformation being Joelinton’s positional change.

The Liverpool-born winger can play in several forward positions, which is the type of player Eddie Howe has been keen to add during the January window, especially after Chris Wood’s loan departure to Nottingham Forest.

Joelinton is currently being deployed as a left-winger, with Allan Saint-Maximin in the process of regaining match fitness.

The addition of Gordon could see Joelinton be moved back to his preferred position as a box-to-box midfielder. This would see one of Sean Longstaff or Joe Willock drop out of the eleven, with Bruno Guimarães making that number 6 role untouchable.

Four days remain of the January transfer window, and it is yet to be seen if Anthony Gordon is the only player The Toon are adding to their ranks.

Have Your Say!

What do you make of the signing of Anthony Gordon?

Who’s place in the squad will he take?

Let us know on our Facebook page!

Continue Reading

Featured

Gary Lineker shocked as ‘adult noices played on BBC Live on air!

Published

on

Gary Lineker - BBC one Live
Credit: BBC

Viewers on Tuesday night prior to the FA cup football games were left shocked and confused as noises of an adult nature were played in the BBC studio – Live on air!

 

Gary Lineker reacted fast to try to address and cover up the noise before going live to Alan Shearer.

 

See the clip below…

 

 

Download our brand new I Phone app here – North East England Updates on the App Store (apple.com)

 

Follow our new You Tube Channel for all North East Updates . North East Updates – YouTube

 

Did you see it – join the conversation on our Facebook page – Facebook

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending