Connect with us

Featured

Officers praise 84-year-old man who fought off an intruder

Published

on

Credit: Northumbria Police

Northumbria Police have applauded the bravery of an 84-year-old man who defended himself from an intruder.

In January 2020, desperate Daniel Sullivan donned a black balaclava and crept into the pensioner’s South Shields home, threatening to shoot him if he didn’t hand over £100.

However, the brave pensioner refused the request and demanded Sullivan leave.

Angered, the 32-year-old opened fire and shot his victim in the chest with a BB gun.

But the plucky victim’s fight and determination prevailed as he picked up a mop to chase his attacker away and called 999.

The victim was taken to hospital and officers launched an investigation.

Sullivan was arrested the next day and a search of an address recovered a BB gun and pellets.

Members of Northumbria Police’s forensics department successfully linked the items and DNA found at the scene to Sullivan – who continued to claim his innocence.

He was charged and later found guilty of aggravated burglary, wounding with intent and possessing a firearm.

During the trial, a jury was read a statement from the elderly victim, which said: “I have always been proud of my ability to defend myself and have always stood up for myself and what I believe to be right.

“On the night my home was entered this was no different; I stood up to the man who threatened me.”

But despite his immense bravery, the pensioner revealed the incident has had a long term impact on his quality of life.

He said: “Before this incident I had never felt vulnerable despite my advancing years.

“I now know I am vulnerable and was most likely targeted because I am older. I was frustrated that I couldn’t catch the person who did this to me at the time, although I did try to go after him.

“Having been so strong in my younger years I have found this difficult to cope feeling like this.”

On Wednesday, at Newcastle Crown Court, a judge sentenced Sullivan, of no fixed address, to 14 years behind bars.

Detective Constable Kyle led the investigation, she said: “While we would never ask members of the public to put themselves in danger, we want to recognise the bravery of the pensioner who fought to protect his property and stand up for what was right.

“But even the bravest among us don’t manage to walk away unscathed and sadly this heroic gentleman has been left with scars both physical and psychological.

“We continue to support him and sincerely hope that knowing his attacker was so swiftly arrested and has now been jailed for 14 years will provide some comfort to him.”

She added: “We know the age defying gentleman in this case has regrets that he never managed to catch his attacker himself, but we want him to know he did everything he possibly could to defend himself and his help with our investigation means a dangerous man is now behind bars. Thank you for your bravery that day, and every day since.”

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending