Connect with us

Featured

Samantha Madgin’s Family Carry Out Patrols at Rising Sun Country Park Following ‘Rape’

Published

on

The family of murdered teenager Samantha Madgin are carrying out patrols at Rising Sun Country Park to help the community feel safe after a woman was allegedly raped.

Emergency services were called to the park in Wallsend on March 28 at around 4.10pm following reports a woman was raped near the Pit Heap area. An investigation was immediately launched and a 34-year-old man – Alan Anthony Rothwell, of Mowbray Street, Heaton – was arrested and appeared at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with rape.

Visitors and walkers spoke of their shock following the alleged incident with many saying it was “scary” to hear. And to help residents feel safer, Samantha Madgin’s family. including mum Alison and sister Carly. have launched a voluntary outreach team to patrol the park.

Samantha was just 18 when she was stabbed to death in Wallsend by young killer Jordan Jobson. But since the tragedy in 2007, Alison has worked tirelessly to educate young people about the dangers of carrying knives and set up Samantha’s Legacy.

Now they have formed the Pink Angels Team to help others feel safe in the park and will wear pink hoodies so they are recognisable. Visitors will be able to chat with them or even join them on their walks in a bid to put people at ease.

Carly said keeping people safe is “their passion” and said both Samantha and their brother Lee, who died after a routine foot operation, would be “proud” of what they’re doing. She said: “We lost both Samantha and Lee and I think they were so proud to be from North Tyneside and I think they would be proud of what we’re doing by keeping people safe, that’s our passion.

“I feel like people watch the news and they’re seeing all the bad things that are happening and people are getting scared. They don’t want their kids to be out but we don’t want people to stop socialising and stop going out. There are good people and if we all stick together we overcome the bad things.

“I’m quite proud to come from North Tyneside and at a time like this, everyone sticks together. We’re all just trying to make things better.”

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending