Shock Cancellation of Newcastle’s Leazes Live Festival
The festival was due to take place on May Bank Holiday weekend featuring headliners James and North-East indie-rockers The Futureheads.
Music fans are set to be left out of pocket and performers have been left ‘angry and confused’ at shock news that an eagerly-awaited new music festival has been cancelled just over a month from its planned debut.
The inaugural Leazes Live had been due to take place in Newcastle on the May Bank Holiday weekend, with Manchester indie-rockers James headlining a bill which also included North East favourites The Futureheads; The Pale White and Mercury-nominated Lanterns On The Lake. But just days after promoters were heralding new additions to the line-up there came abrupt news of its cancellation.
It seemed that news came out of the blue to those due to take to its stage too, with local singer-songwriter Charlotte Grayson claiming artists had been asked not to post anything about it on social media but, being ‘mad’ about the situation, she decided to make her own apology to ticket-holders.
And one ticket-holder who had paid a total of £87.90 for two to attend the May 1 festival at Leazes Park said his only notification had been an email from the ticket company telling him the festival would not be going ahead. He said: “There is no explanation other than ‘matters out of their control’,” and he added that he is now out of pocket having paid booking fees which are not being repaid.
“The refunds are only on the face value of the ticket and not the additional booking fee which is approximately £4 per ticket, which I’m really not happy about to be honest, paying almost £8 for two tickets that I’m never going to receive,” he said. “Also, I note that the Leazes Live website has disappeared as well as most of their social media pages.”
The festival is yet to confirm why the event was cancelled.
Raoul Moat Drama Coming Soon To ITV
It looks set to be one of ITV’s biggest dramas this year and The Hunt for Raoul Moat is being brought to screen by the same people responsible for smash hit shows Line of Duty, Bodyguard and Vigil.
It was confirmed last April that production on the series had commenced, nearly 12 years after Moat gunman shot ex girlfriend Samantha Stobbart and her new boyfriend Christopher Brown, with Brown dying from his injuries. After fleeing Samantha’s home in Birtley, Moat, who had been released from prison just days earlier, went on the run, shooting on duty policeman PC David Rathband in the face as he sat in a patrol car on the outskirts of Newcastle and leaving him blind.
From there, Moat headed for Northumberland, forcing the quiet village of Rothbury into a lockdown as police launched a frantic search for him. The hunt for Moat reached its conclusion with a tense stand-off between the killer and the police on a riverbank, with Moat eventually shooting himself and dying from his injuries as he was rushed to Newcastle General Hospital.
ITV announced three parter The Hunt for Raoul Moat almost a year ago, as filming got underway in Yorkshire, with a cast including ex Bodyguard star Matt Stokoe as Moat and Inspector George Gently actor Lee Ingeleby as police chief Neil Adamson.
ITV have yet to officially announce an release date for The Hunt for Raoul Moat, but is expected to be form part of the channel’s spring programming.
Love Island’s Casa Amor boys include Gateshead’s Kain Reed
Gateshead energy consultant Kain Reed is one of six boys going into Casa Amor as Love Island’s second villa opens its doors tonight.
Kain Reed is setting his sights firmly on Samie as the Gateshead energy consultant goes into Love Island as part of this year’s Casa Amor twist.
After lots of speculation on when Casa Amor might finally open its doors for the new series, it was revealed during Friday’s episode of the ITV dating show that it was coming this weekend, with the announcement delighting fans who think Love Island could do with a bit of spicing up, after seeing its viewing figures dropping below one million in recent days.
With cracks appearing in a few of the Love Island relationships, Casa Amor could ruffle feathers more than ever this time round and six boys and six girls will be thrown in with the objective of splitting the couples up.
And one of the lads hoping to find romance over the next week is 21-year-old Kain as the first Geordie of the current series.
Talking about going in Casa Amor, Kain said: “I’m excited because I want to see how strong the relationships actually are between the current couples, and if I can change them. I’m going in there to turn heads! “
He added: “I love a challenge in every aspect, whether it’s over a girl or a sport. I’m a competitive guy and I want to win!”
And, then moving on to talk about which girl he wanted to couple with, Kain, elaborated: “If I had my choice it would be Samie, as soon as I start talking to her I think there’s a good chance it could happen.
“I also like Lana, she’s obviously coupled up, but in Casa Amor the other boys aren’t there so we’ll have to see what happens won’t we?!”
Love Island continues tonight on ITV2 at 9pm.
ITV to Launch Love Island For Middle-Aged Single Parents
Casting is open for the dating show, in which contestants will be nominated by their adult children
ITV has begun casting for a dating show for single parents. The contestants on The Romance Retreat will be nominated by their adult children to search for love at a Love Island-style villa.
“This is the only dating show where single parents can search for love, by spending time in a luxury retreat, where all the parents have been nominated by their grownup children,” reads the casting call.
A take on Love Island, which is a hit among gen Z viewers, for older contestants has been rumoured for months. In January, Davina McCall told Stephen Bartlett’s podcast, The Diary of a CEO, that she had pitched the idea to ITV.
“I could fill a villa in Love Island with middle-aged people with the best back stories you have ever heard in your life,” she said.
“They’ve lived a life – they’re widows, they’re people who have been through horrific divorces. They are people who have split up with somebody and decided they want to try going out with somebody the same sex as them. They’re like interesting people. I’d watch that show.”
According to the presenter, ITV responded to her request to host a show of that style with: “We’re looking at something else that’s quite similar, we might consider you for that”.
The current series of Love Island began on Monday, with a stricter set of rules in place to protect contestants’ wellbeing. Participants’ social media accounts must now remain unused while they are in the villa, rather than be operated on their behalf. It follows contestants’ families – who often run their accounts during the show – appealing for kinder comments from viewers.
This is the first series to be hosted by Maya Jama, after Laura Whitmore stepped down in August.
Sports1 year ago
Newcastle transfer rumours as January window approaches
News1 year ago
Local mum left with serious injuries after being spiked
Best of North East1 year ago
Top 10: Date Ideas In Newcastle
Sports1 year ago
Rumours: How could Newcastle line-up after the January transfer window?
Featured1 year ago
North-East Collection Points For Ukraine Donations
Featured1 year ago
Humanitarian aid for Ukraine collection point in Newcastle
Sports1 year ago
Favourites to sign for Newcastle in January, according to SkyBet
Sports9 months ago
Six potential strikers that would improve Newcastle’s attack