Connect with us

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

Young Sunderland musician diagnosed with rare brain tumour – here’s how you can help her!

Published

on

One of Sunderland’s brightest young talents, Faye Fantarrow, 20, from East Herrington, has spent the past few years establishing herself on the live music scene with her soulful sound, winning the 2021 Alan Hull award for writing, tipped for 2022 by BBC Introducing and playing festivals such as Mouth of the Tyne and Stockton Calling.

This year, she got her biggest break yet – signing to fellow Mackem musician Dave Stewart’s Bay Street Records and flying to The Bahamas this summer to record her debut EP.

But, it was just two weeks after she returned in September that she began to feel unwell, experiencing headaches and extreme fatigue, which led to an earth shattering diagnosis of a rare type of aggressive glioma brain tumour. Doctors say may have been a very rare side effect of leukaemia treatment, which Faye received twice in her younger years, beating the disease when she was just eight and battling it again in 2015 when she was 13.

Devastatingly, there is no treatment for the tumour in the UK. However, Faye had been in constant contact with her mentor Dave who found a CAR T cell trial at The City of Hope clinical research centre in California, putting money towards it.

Faye’s tumour meets the profile required for the trial and her consultant at Newcastle’s RVI hospital is liaising with doctors there to begin the process of collecting Faye’s cells for the start of the treatment – but she needs your help.

Around £450,000 is required to pay for the trial, which could involve many trips toCalifornia in the US to make infusions into her brain, with a JustGiving page launched to help her get there.

So far in under a week, a whopping over £100,000 has been raised (around 20% of the total needed).

Plans are in the works for a charity fundraising gig and charity buckets have been spotted around local music venues in Sunderland city centre.

Faye had been very wary of announcing her illness for fears it would affect her career, but she says the outpouring of support has been a real comfort.

“I really didn’t want it to affect my career,” she said. “I didn’t want to be an X Factor sob story after all the work I’ve done, but the support and words of encouragement I’ve received have been amazing. Knowing that everyone is 1000% behind me makes such a difference and has done wonders for my self esteem.”

She continued “I’m still adamant to do as much music as I can. This fundraiser has given me the chance of a future, a future doing the music I love. They’ve given me the chance of life and I want to give my music back as a thank you. Dave’s support has been incredible, he says he won’t allow my music to fall through the cracks, he’s been a real pillar of support.”

You can help by donating on her JustGiving page here.

Best of luck Faye, you’re gonna smash this ❤️

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending