Connect with us

News

The stores that will be closed this Bank Holiday Monday for the Queen’s funeral

Published

on

Metro Centre Newcastle

Several major supermarkets and retailers have announced that they will close temporarily during the Queen’s funeral on Monday 19th September, following King Charles III’s announcement that this day will be a public bank holiday across the United Kingdom to honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s State Funeral.

This bank holiday will allow individuals, businesses and other organisations to pay their respects and commemorate Her Majesty’s reign, while marking the final day of the period of national mourning.

The choice to close businesses will be at the discretion of individual firms according to the official guidance that has been issued.

In a statement, the government said the holiday “will be a unique national moment, and we would encourage employers to respond sensitively to requests from workers who wish to take time off.”

“The government cannot interfere in existing contractual arrangements between employers and workers. However, we would expect that many workers will be able to take the day off on the bank holiday.”

These major supermarkets have decided to remain closed, with very limited exceptions:

Waitrose will close the majority of its branches with a small number expected to remain open on the funeral route to serve the thousands of people expected to line the route, a spokesperson has said.

Sainsbury’s and it’s Argos outlets will also close, including online groceries, however their convenience stores and petrol filling stations will be open from 5pm-10pm to allow customers to pick up essential items. Select stores in central London will open to serve those attending the funeral in person.

Aldi and Lidl will close all stores.

Marks and Spencer clothing stores will close on Monday, and the business is also looking at ways of closing down more of its food stores or limiting opening hours.

It has also been reported that Tesco, Asda and Morrisons will close for around four hours during the Queen’s funeral.

Other stores that have decided to close in order to mark their respect, and allow colleagues to pay tribute to the Queen, include:

Poundland
B&Q
Dreams
Harrods
Primark
John Lewis
Dunelm
IKEA
The Entertainer
Homebase
B&Q
Specsavers
WH Smith
Next
Lakeland
Apple
Halfords

It is expected that more stores will announce closures in the upcoming days. Follow us for updates.

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending