Connect with us

Featured

TWFRS issue warning about tumble dryers after fire

Published

on

Credit: Oli Woodman

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service is warning about tumble dryers after a fire broke out at a dry cleaners in Newcastle.

Firefighters raced to the scene at a Gosforth premise, arriving only three minutes after the 999 call came in at about 10.35pm on 22 February.

Crews form Gosforth and Newcastle Central Community Fire Stations successfully extinguished the blaze sparking from tumble dryers.

Group Manager Ian Bell, of TWFRS. said: “The cause of this fire is believed to be linked to a tumble dryer and it is the second such fire that we have had in a matter of days.

“Many residents will have a dryer in their home and we would ask that you never leave it running while you’re out or during the night when you are sleeping and that you remove the lint after every load.”

Bell also urged people to not cover the vent and never put items in the dryer if they have absorbed any flammable liquids or are contaminated in oil.

He highlighted the importance of airing out items when taking them out the dryer.

The group manager added: “Don’t leave hot items in the dryer or leave them in a pile without airing them as they could self-combust and cause significant fire damage to your property.”

He also congratulated the “fantastic response” from the crew responding to the Gosforth fire.

The owner of the business praised firefighters for being “professional until the end” and that their quick response prevented the fire from “causing any further damage.”

Bell said: “This has taken place in an area where there are a number of local businesses and if that fire had spread it could have proved catastrophic for the community.

“Thankfully nobody was injured and this business was potentially saved from closure – but this is a timely reminder for us all.”

Residents are encouraged to register their household appliances at www.registermyappliance.org.uk, a website run by the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA).

People have also been asked to ensure they have working smoke alarms. If anyone knows someone who is vulnerable and needs one fitted, help can be requested from TWFRS by visiting the home safety section of their website.

Featured

Saudi Arabia wants its investors to own Manchester United

Published

on

North East Updates - Breaking News

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

Sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country’s latest sporting ambitions in an interview with Sky News – with the sovereign wealth fund already owning Newcastle and now funding a breakaway golf series.

 

It follows the Manchester United board announcing that they are open to a sale of the club.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisalstated he would be keen on Ronaldo signing for a Saudi Pro League after the World Cup, with the 37-year-old a free agent following a controversial interview and exit to Manchester United earlier this week..

 

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

 

Sky news are reporting – It is the availability of United – after the Glazers announced plans for a potential sale – and Ronaldo that is interesting Prince Abdulaziz.

 

What are your thoughts on this – join the conversation on our Facebook page.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sunday for Sammy Concert Cancelled For 2023 Due To Cost of Living

Published

on

A popular charity concert will not be held in 2023 due to the cost of living crisis.

Sunday for Sammy, which is held in memory of North East actor Sammy Johnson, is a biennial event aimed at benefitting young performers.

The long-running event has featured the likes of Joe McElderry, Johnny Vegas, Brenda Blethyn, Denise Welch, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson and Mark Knopfler, Jill Halfpenny and Ant and Dec.

Tim Healy, who hosts Sunday for Sammy, said: “We’ve had lots of enquiries over the recent months asking when the next Sunday for Sammy will take place.

“We are very much aware at the moment that people are struggling with day-to-day living costs and are watching their pennies. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and that includes the cost of putting on a show the size of ours.”

He added: “We can’t in good conscious put on a show that we aren’t sure people can afford to be tickets for. It would be wrong to risk your money you have generously given us.

“So sadly we have decided that there won’t be a show in 2023. We’re going to wait until the time is right.”

Often dubbed The Geordie Command Performance, the shows, which have been running for more than 20 years, are held in memory of Geordie actor Sammy Johnson, who died in 1999.

Continue Reading

Featured

STACK Newcastle Bosses Scrap Plans For Christmas Pop-Up Venue

Published

on

The owners of STACK have confirmed that there won’t be a pop-up version in Newcastle this Christmas, as plans have been shelved.

At the end of September it was reported that STACK’s owner, Danieli Group, were hoping to bring the brand back to the heart of Newcastle after its Pilgrim Street site was demolished earlier this year, after becoming a firm favourite with locals and visitors since 2018. The pop-up, close to the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Stephenson Quarter, looked set to be a massive draw before STACK makes its permanent return to the city next year, was planned to feature a number of shipping container bars, a new take on its famous Hadrian’s Tipi, street food vans, a stage and large screen, all on one level.

But, it has now been announced that the proposed STACK festive pop-up won’t be happening anymore. Confirming the decision, Neill Winch, CEO of Danieli Group said that while it was sad news that the pop-up would no longer take place, it meant the company can forge ahead with the Worswick Chambers plan.

He commented: “We know how much people miss not having a STACK in Newcastle so we are concentrating our efforts on creating what will become a flagship site back where STACK first began,” he said.

“Work is well underway on the scheme with a view to being open in winter 2023.”

In recent weeks it has announced new developments in Lincoln, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Carlisle.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Trending